Pointer

Pointer

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

German Shorthaired Pointers are pullers

Well, I have had these two dogs for some time now and have found that due to a few reasons they are a pain to walk on a leash.  After each walk my had hurts bad.  Well I went to the pet store they other day and decided to try a pinch collar on Autumn.  Well, it was like a switch for her.  I have been walking her and Willow with the pinch collar the past three days, and I love to walk them now. 

Some of you may think that they should both know how to walk on a leash by now, and I agree if they were normal house dogs, but they are not.  These dogs were trained from a young age to be field dogs, and leash training was not very important to me at that point.  The only reason I even put them on a leash is due to cars, as they would never run away, but I don't trust that they won't go in the street if they see a bird or in someones back yard.  Well, now my daughters have been asking to go on walks with the dogs, so I have been working hard to make it so both my kids, 5 and 9, can walk both dogs.  Right now I know know my 9 year old can walk either of them, and am confident that my 5 year old could also, but I have not tried that yet.  I will keep you undated on leash training. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and share pheasant hunting stories!