Pointer

Pointer

Monday, October 26, 2015

German shorthair pointers GSP pheasant hunting at Coon Creek Hunt Club Guided hunt

Got out on the 25th for a morning guided hunt.  I was excited to be out and there seemed to be birds running around before the field was even set, but I sure didn't expect a hunt like we had.  The guys released 30 pheasants and 10 chuckers in two fields and I guided one of the fields which meant we had 15 and 5 released.  Well, the birds were running harder than I have ever seen.  After 2 hours my group had 4 birds taken only, and I was really starting to get worried as I could tell the birds were moving.  The dogs would get birdie and the we would find nothing.  Saw a few just run away.  Well, I decided I had to push the dogs a little harder and we started finding more birds.  Ending up taking 13 in total with my groups with maybe four misses or so.  Ended up getting better at the end, but honestly was a very hard hunt for me, the dogs, and the guys that we guided for.  I think they had a good time in the end, but boy were we all beat.  We took 11 of the 15 pheasants and 2 of the five chuckers. Each dog was on point on at least 7 birds.  That puts willow at 232 and Autumn at 153.  Let's see what kind of numbers they get this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and share pheasant hunting stories!